Friday, April 14, 2006

Insane in the Membrane

We were talking about Schizophrenia the other day in neurobio and I came to a startling realization.  I may be crazy.  The following are the seven hallmarks of schizophrenia:

  1. Delusions – Don’t have these yet, except perhaps of grandeur.  

  2. Hallucinations – Also safe from this one

  3. Formal thought disorder – Tangential and circumstantial thought patterns certainly seems to fit for me.

  4. Avolition – Lack of drive and motivation, also me.

  5. Social Isolation – Me.

  6. Poverty of thought and speech – I’ve got the poverty of speech down.

  7. Blunted or flattened affect – ie doesn’t express emotion.  Certainly have that one.

Conclusion: I could have schizophrenia.  At the very least I could be described as schizotypal, which happens to be my new favorite word (pronounced skit-so-tip-al.)

Song of the moment: “Pure Morning” Placebo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To my schitotypal brother:

They shouldn't let hypochondriacs into Med. school--you are going to go crazy (if you are not already).