Saturday, August 16, 2008

A broken record . . . music stuff again

We were gloating to The Spaniard the other day about how indie we were for attending our underground concert last week and she decided to one up us because some friends of hers were playing at The Newport. So we couldn’t very well tell her how into the local music scene we were and then not go to the show could we?

We showed up at the show and it sounded pretty bad (sorry first band) so we went and got gyros instead. A wise decision, though a bit greasy. I had my second air synthing experience of Columbus, which was notable but which I can’t discuss without looking like a tremendous jerk.

We soon returned to the concert hall as the second act finished their set, so I have no review of them. The third act was AMA . . . wait for it . . . ZING. Amazing. The lead singer yelled into the mike a lot and did a lot of strutting and pelvic thrusting. The only lyric I really understood was an introduction “The name of this song . . . is CORRUPTION!” The singer took his shirt off halfway through the set to reveal a pretty sweet wifebeater. They concluded the act by explaining how they were a Christian rock band, which really is the perfect way to end your hard rock performance. This act only cemented my view that I enjoy bad things nearly as much as I enjoy good things. Sorry 3rd band.

We believe the 4th band was called Genghis Green, though we’re not positive of that. And they were pretty sweet. Props to Genghis Green. However, by far the best thing about the band was that their keyboard player played a keytar on one of the songs. A. Keytar’s are inherently funny and B. they became funnier after this Flight of the Conchords epioside:

Demetri with his Keytar

Anyway, we named the Keytar player Barry and he was sweet. He also rocked out on the keyboard, donning a pair of sunglasses, but it wasn’t the same.





The last of the five warm-up acts was Gadget Voz, who were fine. Not great, but they had an interesting sound. They had a guy with a video camera walking around the stage the whole time, which I would’ve thought distracting, but they’re evidently professionals. Or I just couldn’t tell when they messed up.

Karate Coyote was the final act, and put on a good show. I didn’t really hear a lot of who they listed as their influences in the music, but it was perfectly enjoyable happy rock music. I enjoy female vocalists in bands and they had 2, both of which did a good job. And one of them makes the t-shirts they sell. Talented and domestic! I’m not sure making band t-shirts counts as domestic, but close enough.





Some good music, some good people watching (we saw some great judgment-impaired dancing) and a good time all around.

3 comments:

Ranteumptom said...

Oh, also, PS, btw, it was another great week for cryptozoology. Bigfoot and the Chupacabra in one week? Oh, and that Olympics junk. In honor of the week I wore my Nessie shirt to the concert.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/08/15/bigfoot.body/index.html

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Mjsx1S4ps

Amy-Alisa said...

what is air synching?

IRISHDRUMMER said...

I ACTUALY WORK WITH "BARRY" THE KEYTAR PLAYER AND ALL I HAVE HEARD THIS WEEK IS HOW HE WAS STOKED YOU GUYS LOVED HIS PERFORMANCE! YOU THINK HE IS GOOD AT A CONCERT? YOU SHOULD HERE HIM WHEN HE PLAYS QUEEN AT THE OFFICE! HAVE A NICE DAY