Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The time of the week that I rank something:

The works of Joss Whedon

I’m not a huge Joss Whedon fan. Which is not to say I dislike his work, in fact I think the majority of his work is aimed directly at my demographic, and I do like it. I just don’t go crazy over it. I'm not a fanboy (though most fanboys would probably say that.) I haven’t even seen any of Dollhouse yet. But I certainly will see it at some point, and suspect I’ll enjoy it. Over the last year or so I’ve been watching alternating seasons of Buffy and Angel, and last week crossed into the last season of Buffy. So only a decade or so behind there. Anyway, along with the countdown. He’s done other things, but I’ve limited it to 10.

10. Toy Story – I hate Disney, so hate Pixar by extension. But if I didn’t hate Disney and Pixar, I’d probably like this movie.

9. Titan A.E. – Remember this? Not really? It’s pretty watchable. Plus it’s got a Splashdown song on the soundtrack, and Splashdown is awesome. Also, how weird that the Splashdown music video I found had Buffy on it? Weird.

8. Alien 4 – Not the worst of the Alien movies. I’m looking at you Alien 3. But I do think this is the one where Sigourney Weaver slamdunks a basketball, so that lowers it in the list.

7. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: the Movie – cheesy fun. With Pee Wee Herman. With LUKE PERRY! I always suggest it as a choice for viewing on Halloween, and somehow I always get voted down.

6. Dollhouse – Seeing as I haven’t seen it yet, I didn’t think it fare to crack the top 5. However, I like the cast and the concept, so it will likely do well in future rankings.

5. Buffy the Vampire Slayer – I like Buffy, but it suffers from Alias syndrome. I loved Alias, but mostly because of all the characters who weren’t Jennifer Garner. Don’t get me wrong, I love looking at Jennifer, I just didn’t think her character was as interesting as any of the her partners/enemies. I don’t really care about Buffy. I’m even missing the male chromosome that makes Sarah Michelle Gellar attractive. But despite my not caring about Buffy as a character or as eye candy, it’s still an enjoyable show.

4. Serenity – A good movie, with better effects than the show (Firefly) on which it’s based, but just not quite as interesting.

3. Angel – I like the stories better, the action better and the humor better than in Buffy. The shows obviously have a lot of similarities, and even share cast members, but for my money this one is better.

2. Firefly – That Nathan Fillion is just so dang likable; I'll watch him in most anything. This is one of those shows that I can recommend to anyone. If you get over the fact that thousands of nerds across the country are obsessed with it, almost anyone will enjoy it.

1. Dr. Horrible - Come on, you knew it would be number one.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I was kind of disappointed by Dollhouse. Just never quite got into it. But I most definitely enjoy some other items on your list!