Friday, July 03, 2009

The Funnies

It's kind of a moot point due to the impending death of the medium, but I don't think I'll ever pay for a newspaper again. I remember when my political science professor convinced me to buy a subscription to the Times. How naive I was. Despite the massive massive discount, it was most definitely not a sound investment. Because

1. I hate the physical layout of newspapers.
2. What can paper provide me with that the interweb cannot?

Nothing. I get my news at the news sites. I get my editorials from blogs. And I get my comics from web comics. I follow the following, with varying degrees of regularity:

1. XKCD - I thought I'd just get this out of the way, because every nerd in the world reads it. But rightfully so.



2. Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal - Not actually as funny as XKCD, but I like it better because it's not as popular. Plus it's in color.



3. A Softer World - Delightfully dark.



4. Toothpaste for Dinner - Today's isn't very good. And honestly, they only make me laugh about once a week. But I laugh pretty heartily when I do.



5. Cyanide and Happiness - Another pretty popular one. This one's probably the least tasteful of the bunch, which is something of an accomplishment.



Also worth checking out are Garfield Minus Garfield, Dinosaur Comics and the Perry Bible Fellowship. I think they're funny, but don't get around to reading them very often.

No comments: