Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Does Whatever a Spider Can

Of course the big news of the week is that the Spider-man 3 trailer debuted yesterday. I admit that I was neglecting my geeky duties and wasn’t aware of this until I read about it last night. But believe youz me, I was eagerly anticipating it for the 3 minutes it took me to find and download it. And I wasn’t disappointed.

In case you’ve missed it, Spider-man is my favorite superhero. Although I probably haven’t purchased a comic in over a decade, the vast majority of those that I did own were Spider-man titles. I was greatly distressed that Spider-man 1 came out on my mission. I couldn’t care less that I missed a Star Wars movie, and was only minorly peeved that I missed a Lord of the Rings. But I watched Spider-man the first night I got home. I hadn’t even unpacked yet. Of course it was a bit of a bittersweet experience in that Spider-man suddenly became cool and I had to share him with the rest of the world. Not that he was ever a minor hero, but at least my Spider-man shirt from nearly a decade ago was novel when I bought it. Now it can be found at any Wal-Mart and thus I can no longer wear it. But now my wise-cracking hero is also the world’s favorite. But I do get to see awesome Spider-man movies, so it’s not all bad.

Back to the trailer; it was very good. When my brother saw it (I watched it a couple times and yelled at him to come watch it) he stated an obvious point: how are they going to fit this all in one movie? The preview shows Topher Grace as Eddie Brock, who eventually becomes Venom. It shows Thomas Haden Church as Sandman. It shows that Franco does get on his father’s glider and become another Green Goblin. It shows both Mary Jane and her competition, Gwen Stacey. Three villains and two love interests in 2 hours? Just to make things complicated lets add the black costume. Spider-man’s black symbiote costume is one of the biggest events in his history. We should also mention that the Harry Osborn becoming the new Green Goblin is another of the top 10 events, and the death of Gwen Stacey (in the comics she’s Peter Parker’s first girlfriend and is killed by the Green Goblin before he ever meets Mary Jane) is definitely in the top three Spider-man events. That’s a TON of material.

The new costume is ok, but not as cool as the comic version. I’ve included both pictures below. Hopefully you can figure out which is which. In any case, go watch the trailer. You can see it before Superman Returns, but that would require you to watch a Superman movie. I may go see it just so I can see my 2 minutes of Spider-man on the big screen. And I certainly know where I’ll be May 4th.



2 comments:

Amy-Alisa said...

Sounds like the plethora of characters might turn into a Batman and Robin kind of thing (which, needless to even say it, was a major disaster). I consider myself lucky to have two geeky brothers who can give me the inside dirt so I can pretend to really know all of the backstories and can then look down my nose at all of the superficial movie-goers who just want to see an action movie.

Catherine Elizabeth said...

Just thought you'd like to know that I used this post as a reference at work to be an expert on the upcoming Spiderman movie. I got some mad "cool points" because of my vast knowledge (I do work at a library, you know).