Sunday, February 08, 2009

First and Last in Line

I saw Coraline on Friday, which is probably before most of you. Unless you were part of the team making it, in which case, congratulations, it was pretty good. I wouldn’t’ve seen it the first day, but Kid Sister wanted to, so we obliged her.

I don’t have much to say about the movie. It’s a kid’s movie, so don’t expect anything too complex. But it’s well done, it looks great, and the music was great. The cat’s voice drove me crazy until I realized it was Goliath from Gargoyles, and the Arbiter from Halo. The topless lady was a bit of a surprise, and certainly makes me hesitant to suggest everyone take your kids to this movie. But if I ever procreate, this will be one of the movies I’ll let my kids watch. But only once per month. My kids will only be allowed to watch a particular movie once a month. There’ll be a schedule on the wall.

I’m probably the last person in the world to see Slumdog Millionaire, excluding those of you too moral to watch R rated films. And if you’re not going to see it fine, but if you were thinking about it, there are only a couple violent acts and some thematic stuff, but I’d feel fine giving a copy to most anyone.

I liked everything about the movie. I liked the story, style, acting, even the Bollywood dance at the end. But I can’t say that I loved it. My co-watchers thought the movie was depressing, which wasn’t really my problem. I just didn’t get terribly involved in the story. I thought it was good the whole time, I just didn’t feel any tension. Which makes me doubt it’s the best movie of the year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So 1) coraline is actually based on a very well reviewed childrens book that I happened to read and then got very disturbed. It would be interesting to see what you think about the book.
2) Slumdog was emotionally violent I thought, but also somewhat uplifting at the end. Have you seen the namesake?

Lindsay said...

was that a royal we (when you obliged her) or was there actually more than one other person doing the obliging. And since I know it wasn't your kid sister, who is Kid Sister and isn't that a somewhat demeaning nickname?