Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My next 14 months

I got my schedule for next year yesterday, and I guess I’m happy about it. Kind of. Generally.

Academic Year: 2008
1 07/07/2008 Obstetrics and Gynecology
2 09/02/2008 Ambulatory Care Clerkship Family Medicine
3 09/29/2008 Ambulatory Care Clerkship Selective
4 11/03/2008 Internal Medicine
5 01/05/2009 Psychiatry
6 02/02/2009 Neuroscience
7 03/02/2009 Pediatrics
8 05/04/2009 Surgery

Here’s the thing: it doesn’t seem like it matters very much. For the first two years of med school our curriculum was unchangeable. Finally we get to third year where we exert some control, but to what end? Everyone takes the same 8 classes. The only thing we’re doing is choosing the order. In the end the order matters very little.

Here are some general rules. The hardest rotations are supposedly OB/GYN, Internal medicine and surgery. So I tried to spread those out and that worked alright. There’s a fairly good chance that you’ll mess up your first and last class (the former because of inexperience, the latter because of burnout) so I’m glad those are OB and surgery. I’m pretty sure I don’t want to do either of those. But I definitely don’t want to do Peds, so I wish it was last and that surgery was first instead of OB just in case I like it. Another rule is that you should save rotations you don’t want to do for the last two spots because you decide on your 4th year schedule before your last two rotations. So if I decide I like surgery, too bad.

The sweet spots are November to March. These are when you have the most experience but haven’t burned out yet. So I’m glad that I got my medicine, psych and neuron in that block.

So it’s not exactly the schedule I asked for, but it’ll do.

On a related note, Kate most definitely gets to keep her spot on My Island. And no Amy, Sawyer doesn’t get to stay. Just me and my 10 ladyfriends. And maybe Hurley.


1 comment:

Amy-Alisa said...

Ok, I get it. You shouldn't have to handle any possibility of competition on your island. Send him on over to mine.