Saturday, May 12, 2012

Carnivorous

I've heard it said that there are people that like sweet things, and those that like savory things. This is of course a bit silly as a huge portion of the world's population can enjoy a meal of a meat pie followed by a fruit pie. But when push comes to shove I guess you can put yourself in one camp or the other. 

I am most definitely a sweet person, if only in the sense of food preference. I have very rarely in my life craved a steak or fried chicken or a salmon filet or anything of the sort. I've enjoyed all of them, but I don't crave them in the way I crave donuts and candybars and sugar packets. 

But I am also someone who relishes new experiences, so when a new meat is available to sample, I do so. And I'll go a fair amount out of my way, and risk breaking my vomit-free streak to do so. So when the opportunity to get two checkmarks added to my list last night, I jumped at the opportunity. 

Swordfish: I recommend it. I'm sure it tastes like some other kind of fish you have had, but I couldn't pinpoint what it might be. Salmon-y texture but not taste. Taste-wise, I don't know, maybe halibut? In any case, it was quite good. 

Rattlesnake: I can't really recommend it. It wasn't bad by any means, it just wasn't terribly good either. It was kind of like eating a cross between popcorn chicken and calamari. Which sounds better than the snake was. But when combined with some good dipping sauce and some better-than-expected cactus fries, it was certainly enjoyable enough. 

Next on my list: sea urchin. Every sushi place has it on their list, but then they never have it in. One of these days I'll catch one of those sneaky urchins. 


For the curious omnivores, and vegetarians looking for indignation:
Animals I've eaten:

Alligator
Snake
Frog
Chicken
Turkey
Duck
Pheasant
Ostrich 
Fish (I don't feel like determining which. A lot of kinds)
Eel
Octopus
Squid
Shrimp/Crayfish/Prawn
Crab
Lobster
Oyster
Clam
Scallop
Cow (including tongue, liver, brains)
Buffalo
Beefalo
Deer
Elk
Pig (including foot, intestine)
Warthog
Sheep
Goat
Rabbit
Rat
Scorpion
Ant

It would seem that in 30 years I would have eaten more than 30 kinds of meat, but nothing else comes to mind at the moment. If you're looking to try something not on the list, let me know and we'll hunt together. 


No comments: