Saturday, October 18, 2008

Low level obsession

I started watching True Blood this morning, because I have academic suicide ideation. But how could I resist? HBO, vampires, not studying. It seemed like such a good idea.

And I enjoyed the first 2 episodes. I then had to throw my computer out the window so I could study. But really, how often do vampires let me down? The presence of a vampire in any story makes it almost irresistible to me. They’re dark, sexy and I'm a sucker for mythology. Here’s a list of the good and bad of the vampire canon.

Good
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (movie) – Luke Perry, Pee Wee Herman, AND cheerleaders
Underworld – I love you Kate Beckinsale
Underworld Evolution – not as good, but still pretty sweet
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust – best vampire anime
Vampire Hunter D – not as good as the sequel, but pretty good
Blood: The Last Vampire
Nightwatch – those crazy Russians and their Matrix/Lord of the Rings/vampire movies
Monster Squad – for nostalgia purposes mostly
Dracula (original) – old timey, but good
The Lost Boys – sweety 80's goofiness
Interview with a Vampire – slow but worthwhile
Blade II – the best of the trilogy, and pretty worth watching
Dracula: Pages from a Virgin’s Diary
Dracula – the ballet
Nosferatu – still creepy
Hellsing
30 Days of Night (the graphic novel [ie pretentious comic])
Bunnicula
Duckula
The Historian
True Blood – so far so good

Not So Good
I am Legend – so much promise, with little payoff.
Bram Stoker’s Dracula – weird, with lots of weird sex.
30 Days of Night – a couple excellent moments, but a whole lot of wasteland
Blade
Blade Trinity
Masterpiece Theater’s Dracula – pretty dull. From masterpiece theater? How surprising.
Bordello of Blood – I have a love/hate relationship with Dennis Miller.
Queen of the Damned
Van Helsing – I should probably rewatch it, but I hated it in the theater
Ultraviolet – SO bad. You’ll be surprised how bad.

On my to-watch list
Buffy (the series) – never seen it surprisingly, and don’t want to until I have more free time to watch all bajillion hours of it.
From Dusk til Dawn
The Hunger – David Bowie!

Not on my list – Twilight. Sorry Mormon hack lady, you won’t get me.

No comments: