Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cancerable

They say lots of things will kill you. Microwaves, cell phones, diet soda. Doctors debate all of these things. There’s proof, there’s not proof, there’s not enough proof, on and on and on. And I can’t speak for the first two, but you don’t need to worry about the diet soda. Do you know why? Because the doctors will start dying long before the rest of the population.

I’ve never been a lawyer, businessman or firefighter. Maybe when they have their annual firefighter convention, everyone orders a Diet Coke. But I doubt it. But every time we have a lunch meeting (and my current rotation has 4 a week) the vast majority of the physicians present are chugging down diet soda. The really good doctors, who pay attention to nutrition articles, are drinking water. But it’s pretty rare to see a soda of the nondiet variety.

So once the doctors start dying off en mass, they’ll have proof diet soda kills you. But until then, I consider it pretty medically sound to keep enjoying my DDP.

2 comments:

Amy-Alisa said...

Phew. Finally some kind of comeback for Trav's constant bad mouthing Diet Coke. (I actually prefer Pepsi).

@emllewellyn said...

Sometimes I like to pretend that I don't have a DC problem, but let's be real-- I'd probably hook myself up to a Diet Coke IV if I could. Glad to know my addiction is endorsed, albeit off the record, by the medical community.