Sunday, October 15, 2006

Why I should run the world

Or at least my ward.

Yesterday we had a ward service project. This I support. But our service was for OSU. Why do service for the largest, best funded organization in town? That’s like us sending all our foreign aid to Switzerland and ignoring all the developing nations. Furthermore we did the “service” project in exchange for OSU providing us with their buses for ward trips. Every time they mentioned the project in church they both said that it was service and that we needed to do it so OSU would continue to help us. So it was really a bartering project, not a service project. They said that we needed 100 people for 3 hours to finish the project (they would never tell us what the actual project was, so we didn’t know what to expect.) Knowing the size of our ward, I felt obligated to help us achieve something resembling that 100 number, despite my objections to the project and my relatively busy studying schedule of this week. We ended up with 34 people, and we finished the project in about an hour. Either they intentionally misled us as the needs of the project, or they planned it exceedingly poorly. That’s not to say that this was a horrible experience. It was relatively easy (cleaning parking garages), I had fun and I got free pizza. But there’s a lot of room for improvement.

I’m going into studying hibernation for the next week, so you’ll only hear from me when I am purposefully avoiding studying.

No comments: