Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Maladcholy






So I left Utah, perhaps permanently, on Friday. So where do I go next? Idaho: Utah Jr. My dad wanted to visit his parents and I really had no reason to rush home, so we headed to Malad.

There’s really nothing to report about Malad. It’s still there. It’s still boring. Nothing against this little town in SW Idaho, but it’s just not an exciting place. If it were, the current residents would probably hate it and leave. My dad and two aunts who scheduled their visit to correspond with ours gave me a tour around the town. I really have no concept of what it would be like to grow up in a single location, let alone a single location this small. So even though the actual location warrants no interest, their reaction to the various sites was interesting enough. Though I did see my great-grandfather's grave, my grandfather's name on a war memorial and a store advertising prostitute-produced pies.

I talked a bit with my grandparents. But for the most part it was a reminiscing trip, and seeing as I couldn’t reminisce about a childhood in rural Idaho, I didn’t contribute much to the conversation.

I tried to think of a way to space up this entry, but it was impossible. Malad is as bland as they come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It gives me great pleasure to see the famous ho-made pie sign published on the internet for all to see! How did I miss seeing Grandpa's name on a war memorial when I took my self-guided Malad tour? And you have to love the decorated fire hydrants - they still have those, don't they?

Amy-Alisa said...

Hurray for the Ho-Made pies. I hope you sampled some of their small town goodness. I missed the memorial also, I think we used the same map.

Jeanette said...

The Malad Gorge can be... cool. Or something.