Monday, May 08, 2006

Happy Day!

I found a missing pair of sunglasses the other day, which was immensely satisfying for two reasons.

I absolutely hate losing things.  It drives me crazy when I realize that I’ve lost a personal possession.  This isn’t really because I’m materialistic (though I certainly am) but because I hate that I couldn’t keep track of the specific item.  Despite the fact that my living space is rarely neat, I almost always know exactly where everything is.  So when I find that the item isn’t where I thought it was, it greatly disturbs me.  I thought these sunglasses had disappeared back at Christmas and given up hope of ever finding them.  But there they were, hiding under the seat of my parents’ car.  

This was also very pleasing to me because I have an unhealthy fixation on sunglasses.  I know have 4 pairs, along with two broken pairs and a couple sets of goofy glasses that are really only good for costuming.  This is undoubtedly more than I need, but it isn’t my record high.  In high school there were a couple months when I’d buy a new pair to wear every week.  But most of those pairs were of the goofy variety, and the ones I keep now actually look somewhat decent.  And lest you think I’m throwing my cash away on designer brands, three of the four are knockoff Oakleys.  Since I usually break them after a couple months of wear, I doubt I’ll ever spend more than 10 bucks for a pair.  Maybe if I did invest in real ones they’d last longer, but I’m not prepared to take that risk.  The Foakleys I bought in China for 3 bucks suit me fine for now.

No comments: