Saturday, July 02, 2011

Sex and violence

Really, sex and violence shouldn't need any help promoting themselves. They are what other mundane things use to advertise. But if there's anything that can ratchet up the appeal of sex and violence, it's a killer soundtrack.

I love a good trailer. I think movie trailers should have their own category at the Oscars. Because a great trailer will give you goosebumps. A great trailer gives you the essence of a film and distills it down to a couple minutes of tantalizing hints and clues of what is to come. A great trailer takes a movie that you know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, will be horrible, and for a minute makes you want to see it.

I saw this trailer this morning, and found myself thinking, why isn't it December yet? It also helps that it's July in Arizona, and December is a beautiful thought. In any case, this trailer is a clusterwin. Great book plus Daniel Craig plus Fincher plus Karen O plus Trent Reznor plus one of the few Zeppelin songs I do know.


Dragon Tattoo

Here's another one I came across earlier in the week. Lykke Li plus Batman plus Catwoman plus video games? Even if most of that equation is of no interest to you, I think the music sells it.



Arkham City

Trailers. They're a thing of beauty.

No comments: