Tuesday, August 11, 2009
The time of the week when I rank something:
In honor of the release of Ponyo:
It’s the time of the week when I rank something: Miyazaki Movies
10. My Neighbor Totoro – I think I’d like this if I were 25 years younger. Or high. Or high when I was 2.
9. Kiki’s Delivery Service – more coherent than Totoro. I guess some would consider that a negative.
8. Castle in the Sky – old timey fun, with robots.
7. Ponyo – I’m guessing this is where Ponyo will rank.
6. Castle of Cagliostro – Not a huge Lupin III fan, but it had spies, gangsters, ninjas and thieves. Try to find a movie with those 4 groups that isn’t fun.
5. Porco Rosso – a little seen gem with a pig-man in a biplane. It also has Michael Keaton. So basically it’s a Batman movie.
4. Howl’s Moving Castle – it drags a little bit, but all in all a good time. Despite being an adaptation, it seems fresh, original and very Miyazaki.
3. Spirited Away – probably the most popular of his works, and rightfully so.
2. Nausicaa – a little rough around the edges (it’s an earlier work) and it tells a very similar story to #1, but still very good.
1. Princess Mononoke – it’s the best my friends. Not the newest, or most popular. But the one that has an arrow decapitation. And Gillian Anderson. And a sweet soundtrack. And superpowered samurai warriors fighting demon gods. I guess that might have something to do with it being my favorite.