Monday, February 28, 2011

Meme Girls

For some, the thirst for knowledge can be a great character trait. Not so much for me. Mostly because I tend to thirst for knowledge about stupid things.

Like memes. I hate it when someone brings up a meme and I don’t know about it. Can you think of something less important to know about than an internet meme? An internet meme is never going to save somebody’s life. It’s never going to make the world a better place. It’s never going to imbue your soul with a quintessential truth about the universe. But I get annoyed when I don’t know them. Memes are like internet gossip and fashion and inside jokes rolled into one, and I must be in on it.

I was at Matsuri yesterday, which is Phoenix’s Japanese festival. It was successful in that I went with a girl and I added eel to my list of animals I’ve eaten list. It was not successful in that everyone knew a meme that I didn’t know. Admittedly, there’s no way you’re going to keep up with a cosplaying otaku on knowledge of internet culture. But the fact that everyone except Integral and I knew to start doing this stupid dance when a stupid song played was disappointing to me. The dance was the following:



And no, I wouldn’t have started doing the dance if I knew it. And yes, it is one of the more ridiculous things that I could possibly conceive of. But still, everyone knew but me! Embarrassing. More embarrassing though is the fact that I spent 30 minutes last night investigating the dance. But really, how was I supposed to find it in less than 30 minutes when my only clues on what to google was “Japanese dance.”

One of my favorite memes of the last month or so is Hipster Ariel. I’ve included some of my favorites below:






4 comments:

Meg said...

I admit, I'm surprised you didn't know about Caramelldansen. On the other hand, I think I only know about it because one of the webcomics I read kept posting new videos of it. And it would be hard to find under "Japanses danse," seeing as it's originally Swedish.

Unknown said...

A) Haha, Meg spelled dance wrong.
B) I too, could have told you. Having nerd siblings is so much better than having google. I even have the mp3 if you need the annoying song.

Meg said...

Ha, I don't know where my head was. I spelled Japanese wrong, too. The dance I blame on the previous Swedish spelling of it.

Amy-Alisa said...

Kate and Jillian are big fans of the song and the dance. Maybe next year you should take them with you. They happily join in on group dances.