Sunday, November 14, 2010

Forget You [NSFW]

Opinion 1: Last week’s episode of Glee was the Worst . . . Episode . . . Ever. Which is not to say it was a horrible way to spend an hour; it was just a poor showing of a good show. The comedy was flat to nonexistent, the musical numbers were dull, the plot uber-contrived. Come on, the big football player who picks on gays turns out to be gay? Shocker. But next week’s episode looks more promising.

Gwyneth on Glee



Question 1: Who hates Gwyneth? This article seems to indicate that people hate her. I’m someone who will readily and without reason dislike people, and I have never had a negative feeling towards her. I’m not a big fan either. The only movies where I specifically liked her were The Royal Tenenbaums and the Iron Men. Otherwise I’ve found her performances pretty neutral. But evidently other people disagree. It could be that I kind of like uppity ice queens. Or it could be that her negatives (Apple?) balance out with her positives (Simon Pegg is Apple’s godfather!) In any case, I have no strong feelings about her.

Fact 1: I don’t swear. There are any number of crude words I will say, but I have lines I have drawn. Though to disclose fully, I suspect I may need to abandon those lines. So far I haven’t needed to repeat a patient’s profanity in the course of an interview or affidavit, but it does seem like it is only a matter of time. But my point is I don't condone swearing.

Declaration 1: I like a lot of music which happens to contain cursing. Forget You, whether performed by Gwyneth or Cee Lo is just not the same as F*** You. F*** You is a great song. The cursing is the exclamation point at the end of each phrase. So I’ve included below ten songs that I love that are reliant on their profanity. Some are expletive heavy, others just have a swear or two to add some spice. I’ve generally avoided rap and hard rock, as the swearing there is pretty commonplace. Seriously though, don't click on the links unless you want an ear-full. And the songs are catchy, so it might stay there.

List 1: The time of the week when I rank things: Songs With Which I Can’t Sing Along


1. Good Intentions – Tito and Swan

A bizarre confluence of blasphemy, profanity, intoxication and debauchery. It makes it all sound so playful and innocent. Sure to offend most anybody.

2. Toxic – Mark Ronson

ODB is on the track. Ergo, it can't be played in polite company.



3. When You Wasn’t Famous – The Streets

Most any Streets track could be included. I love these guys. Strangely enough I couldn't find an uncensored version of this song.

4. I Can’t Decide – Scissor Sisters

Another track that throws around the F bomb with zero spite or malice, just a smile.



5. F******* Boyfriend – The Bird and the Bee

This is one of many tracks that would have been included in past ChrisMixes, if not for its lyrics. Consequently, ChrisMix usually gets skewed a bit nicer, older and girlier than the actual tracks I hear over the course of the year.

6. Mother****** – Xzibit

Generally I avoided rap music as it is famously profane, so not much of a challenge to include on a list of songs with swearing. But I really like the way this song sounds, even though I can't agree with any of the content.



7. B***** Mother******* ***hole – Martha Wainwright

My third favorite Wainwright. Well, maybe second favorite. But she pulls no punches on this one. She's singing about my third favorite Wainwright.

8. Stack-O-Lee – Samuel L Jackson



This was an underrated movie. This is a great song. Mr. Jackson is a king of cursing.

9. The Dirty Glass – Dropkick Murphys

I think there's only one curse in this one. But it's hard to miss.

10. Don’t Marry Her – The Beautiful South

The contrast between sex and love is so eloquently pointed out using the most famous of curses.



Honorable Mentions
Song of the Dumped – Ben Folds Five
B****– Merideth Brooks
Any one of dozens of Beastie Boys tracks, and most every Eminem track.

Bonus 1:

No comments: