Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Evidently I'm White

If you don’t read Stuff White People Like, the most recent post was concerning Conan, as is this post. Man has that site got my number.

Tomorrow dear readers, I’ll actually talk about my life, NYC, pizza and the meaning of life. But not today.

Today I’ll talk about talk shows. To really be topical I should’ve done this days ago, but days ago I was being lazy. And really today I’m being lazy, so I’ll be brief.

Suffice it to say that Jay Leno is a waste of space. Maybe he’s a nice person; I don’t know or care. But he’s useless on television.

Letterman v. Leno? Letterman, hands down. The fact that Leno consistently beat Letterman in the ratings probably makes me like Letterman even more.

Leno v. Conan? Conan. Hands even further down. Or down harder. Or whatever. Conan’s nerd cred for being a Simpsons writer alone guarantees his victory. But the fact is Conan is funny. Leno is not. The only reason to watch Leno is if he has a guest I like, and that guest for some idiotic reason refuses to go to other, funnier, talk shows.

So, like so many others, I support Conan in his times of trouble. He deserves his show, in its current form, in its current time slot. Does it matter to me if his show starts at 11:30 or 12:00 or 3:33? Not remotely. But it matters to Conan, and I support him standing his ground against NBC. Kick Leno to the curb, let Conan stay where he is, and let’s all forget about this nonsense.

And just to get some weekly ranking in:
Ranking of talk show hosts:
1. Space Ghost
2. Conan
3. Ferguson
4. Letterman
5. Kimmel
6. Fallon
7. Leno
Carson Daly doesn’t get a number. That's what I think of him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wanda Sykes?

Agreed on the Conan business. He is not my cup of tea (wait, maybe he is, because I don't like or understand tea), but he has really handled this crappy situation very admirably. What I just can't get is why NBC would REWARD Leno (and alienate Conan) for having a failing show. Weird. Maybe Leno owns some souls over at NBC, I don't know, but it is just nuts.