Thursday, August 28, 2008

I hate my hippocampus

As I was walking down the stairs today a song popped into my head. It wasn’t anything I’d been listening to earlier. It wasn’t ubiquitous Top 40 dredge. It was this:

Kids kids kids kids
To know us is to love us
Just like the sun above us
We’re shining just for you
It’s true!
Every morning
We’re always up and doing . . .

A song I’d been made to learn in 5th grade chorus. Chorus was optional, but who could turn down a chance to leave class? It was a trick though, because they made us sing schlock like this. I think they tricked us by having us sing Island in the Sun by Harry Belafonte. And what 5th grader doesn’t love Harry?

I think it’s funny that my remembrance of the song cuts out in the middle of a sentence. Evidently it got even worse from there and I repressed it. I was morbidly curious so looked up the lyrics online, only to discover they don’t exist. Which leads me to conclude that the chorus teacher was making it up as she went along.

Unfortunately I remember most of the rest of the songs as well. Of course Belafonte was the highlight, though I’m not certain we ever performed these numbers. We had a song about the world needing peace, and another about a Guitar Man. Yet I can’t remember the amino acids. Stupid brain.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I think you secretly love children.

Amy-Alisa said...

They like him anyway.

I distinctly remember the 'Do you want to ride in my beautiful balloon song' and singing some kind of Halloween song that pops into my head every October, but I only remember half of it.