Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Why would sick ever mean great?

I’ve got a bad case of roommate-itis. No, Bryce hasn’t been bothering me, he just gave me some nasty flu. Whenever your roommate gets sick, you know there’s a chance. He’s coughing and sneezing and dripping on everything in the apartment, and it’s really only a matter of time. The situation is exacerbated by the fact that we also go to school, church and social activities together. I hoped that my super-WBCs would get me through it, but sadly they have failed me.

I was doing fine until Monday evening. In fact I engaged in a rousing Uno game and may very well have infected numerous others. Then around midnight I started to crash. The next morning I decided that I wasn’t going to get anything from class, so enjoyed a couple extra hours in bed. I actually enjoyed an entire day in bed, but I did get some good studying done later on.

I’m glad that I’m sick this week instead of next, when I’ll be cramming more for the exam. It’s unfortunate however, because I’m supposed to sing a solo on Sunday, and my voice is currently out of whack. Interesting story: I was at choir practice this last week and they asked who wanted to try the solo. They had done this two weeks ago, and several people volunteered and did an acceptable job. But really, who asks for volunteers for solos? The choir director should have some idea who the most talented singers are and should ask them to add their talents to the piece. But no, we had amateur hour at choir practice. Anyway, this last week she again asked for volunteers and no one spoke up. Eventually I said I’d try it, and was immediately assigned the part for the program this coming week. Perhaps the congestion will add some gravitas to my voice.

Another interesting story: Bryce, feeling guilty for infecting me, gave me some of his medication last night before bed. His father is a doctor and he probably has more drugs than he really needs. And regardless of his need for the drug, I shouldn’t take someone else’s drugs. But I did and didn’t feel anything for the couple hours that I was awake studying and watching House. I wasn’t terribly surprised since my body seems very unresponsive to stimulants. Bryce said the drug kept him awake, almost like speed. I fell asleep with no problems, but became wide awake around 4. I was still tired and sore from the flu, so went back to sleep. I would fall asleep, have crazy dreams and come wide awake again. I ran through this cycle a half dozen times before I had to get up in the morning. I guess that pharmacokinetic stuff they’re teaching us must be true.

3 comments:

Catherine Elizabeth said...

I can't believe you're singing a solo, and I don't get to hear it. Also, I can't believe you sing in the church choir voluntarily, because I feel like you never wanted to sing with us as a family (although now that I think about that, I think I'm remembering pre-teen/teenage Christopher, not the current, mature, Christopher). Still, totally jealous I don't get to hear your solo.

Anonymous said...

Ditto Catherine--can't believe you are singing, but glad to hear it.

Amy-Alisa said...

You should have gotten the flu shot in the nose. Don't they give med students free samples?