Monday, January 30, 2006

This is the calling that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends . . .

For those of you that are dissatisfied or bored with your callings (incidentally, you’re evil for being so), I would like to point out that I probably beat you.  I’m now in my third year of being Home Evening Group Leader.  I think that FHE is an important thing, even in a singles ward.  Some of my best friends in college have been those I made on Monday nights.  But 3 years!  I’m not really a one trick pony folks.  I organize about as many activities as the activities committee does.  I’m at least moderately capable of teaching a lesson.  Utilize me in some other way!  Admittedly, one of those years I was the Ward Group Leader, which was a significantly different position.  But some variety would be nice.  I think I’m going to tell my next ward that I’ve taken a vow of silence that lasts every Monday from 5 to midnight.  Hopefully if I point out that I don’t know sign language it will result in me getting a different calling.

Thankfully I have an active FHE wife.  My first year as FHE dad the only person I couldn’t get to come was my wife.  The sad thing was that she was hot.  And she liked the Deftones.  She would’ve been quite the catch.  But my current partner is on the ball and has basically planned out the semester for us.  Tonight we played Dip Dip Dip, which is not among my favorite party games, but certainly beats Big Booty.  It’s been 5 years since I’ve played and I hope to make it the next 3 months without the game being suggested.

My current vote for the opposite of a Chick Flick is a Testfest.  I sprang into my mind during Linguistics this morning.

Song of the Day: “The Spark That Bled” The Flaming Lips

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only problems with your sugestion for a gender alternate to chick flick is that 1) it could not be uttered (except in the most conspiritorial of whispers) by ony young woman of refinement and linguistic understanding, and 2) it is not really self explanatory and makes no clear reference to movies. Alas, it could not possibly catch on and become a staple of the lexicon. May I suggest (for those who prefer simple rhymes to the loftier aliteration), Bro Show.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ellie O. Testfest just sounds like testicle and nobody wants to use that in an everyday conversation. Yuck.

Also, didn't they change the name to just HE, no "Family"? And it's also weird to call someone your wife who isn't your wife. Aren't they just your co-coordinator? I know it's fun for you to say wife, but it's weird and could be considered creepy by some.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the FHE calling, Chris. That would be a hard one to stay enthusiastic about for so long. And calling your FHE partner "husband" or "wife" is pretty normal and excepted, I would say. More common, though, is "mom" and "dad".

I agree wholeheartedly with Ellie O.'s comment. Your suggestion was pretty clever, but Bro Show seems better.

Anonymous said...

WHos is this Ellie? She sounds smart. I like bro show.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much, after the hubub of the Nobel awards and Miss America died down, I have been a long time without a compliment so nice.