Again I allowed the teams that formed in advance of the event select categories and ended up with the following 6: Geography, Social Media, Seinfeld, Immigration Law, Baby Mama and Lyrics from Animated Disney Movies from the 1990s. Very few of these aligned with my predetermined questions.
I think it went well. We had about 50 people in attendance which was a bit cozy but worked well considering the obstacles it presented.
If you live outside the Phoenix area (ie won't be attending) and would be interested in serving as a focus group for future questions, please let me know. I recruited some and it was helpful.
Round 1: Guns, Cannibalism and Disney 1. Mikhail Kalashnikov invented what type of gun in 1947?
2. What was the name of Jonathan Swift’s essay advocating the eating of children to benefit society?
3. What language is Hakuna Matata
Round 2: Societies, The Media, And Social Media
1. What 2 nations call each other Frankreich and Allemagne?
2. Of this marriage People magazine quipped “Neverland meets Graceland?”
3. Name what each icon represents?
1. In what year did Ellis Island cease to be used as an immigration inspection point? 1907, 1932, 1954, 1982
2. What is the largest island in the world?
3. What are synchronous diaphragmatic flutter?
Half Time Question
Match the movies with the Shakespearean work on which they are based.
Forbidden Planet Hamlet
Kiss Me Kate King Lear
Ran Romeo and Juliet
Strange Brew The Tempest
She’s the Man The Taming of the Shrew
The Lion King 12th Night
10 Things I Hate About You
West Side Story
Round 4: ABC: Avengers, Baby Mama, Certified Nerdery
1. Who was a founding member of the Avengers: Batman, Superman, Spider-man or Ant-man?
2. Baby Mama features Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. What other film features both actresses?
3. What is the name of this sequence: 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21
Round 5: Geography, Physiology, Reindeerology
1. What nation contains the lowest AND highest elevation in the Southern AND Western Hemispheres?
2. Individuals afflicted with albinism have a deficiency of what?
3. Which of Santa’s reindeer does not have a city, mountain or body of water in North America named after it?
Round 6: Art, Architecture, Life Imitates Art
1. What is the name of this painting? Bonus question: Who is the artist?
2. What architectural landmark is built over Bear Run Creek in Pennsylvania?
3. When playing Trivial Pursuit, George Costanza adamantly claimed that who invaded Spain in the 8th Century?
Lightening Round (given simultaneously)
1. What is the name of Arizona’s controversial law?
2. Robin Williams provided the voice for the Genie in Aladdin. In what other animated non-Disney movie did he sing?
3. Who appeared in more episodes of Seinfeld than any other character other than 4 primary characters?
4. This Disney lyric was deemed anti-Islamic and changed after the film’s initial release. “Where they’ll cut off your BLANK if they don’t like your BLANK, it’s barbaric, but hey, it’s home.”
The Himalayas pass through various countries. Name at least 4. The team with the highest number of correct countries will receive bonus points.