Round 1: Guns, Cannibalism and Disney
1. Mikhail Kalashnikov invented what type of gun in 1947?
2. What was the name of Jonathan Swift’s essay advocating the eating of children to benefit society?
a. A Modest Proposal
3. What language is Hakuna Matata
Round 2: Societies, The Media, And Social Media
1. What 2 nations call each other Frankreich and Allemagne?
a. Germany and France
2. Of this marriage People magazine quipped “Neverland meets Graceland?”
a. Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley
3. Name what each icon represents?
a. Twitter, Instagram, Spotify, Tumblr, Blogger, LinkedIn
Flicker, Soundcloud, Skype, StumbledUpon, Reddit, Etsy, Google Plus, Pinterest, Foursquare, Yelp
Round 3: Immigration Law, Islands, In Other Words
1. In what year did Ellis Island cease to be used as an immigration inspection point? 1907, 1932, 1954, 1982
2. What is the largest island in the world?
3. What are synchronous diaphragmatic flutter?
Half Time Question
Match the movies with the Shakespearean work on which they are based.
Forbidden Planet The Tempest
Kiss Me Kate The Taming of the Shrew
Ran King Lear
Strange Brew Hamlet
She’s the Man 12th Night
The Lion King Hamlet
10 Things I Hate About You The Taming of the Shrew
West Side Story Romeo and Juliet
Round 4: ABC: Avengers, Baby Mama, Certified Nerdery
1. Who was a founding member of the Avengers: Batman, Superman, Spider-man or Ant-man?
2. Baby Mama features Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. What other film features both actresses?
a. Mean Girls
3. What is the name of this sequence: 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21
a. The Fibonacci Series
Round 5: Geography, Physiology, Reindeerology
1. What nation contains the lowest AND highest elevation in the Southern AND Western Hemispheres?
2. Individuals afflicted with albinism have a deficiency of what?
3. Which of Santa’s reindeer does not have a city, mountain or body of water in North America named after it?
Round 6: Art, Architecture, Life Imitates Art
1. What is the name of this painting? Bonus question: Who is the artist?
a. The Scream, Edvard Munch
2. What architectural landmark is built over Bear Run Creek in Pennsylvania?
3. When playing Trivial Pursuit, George Costanza adamantly claimed that who invaded Spain in the 8th Century?
a. The Moops
Lightening Round (given simultaneously)
1. What is the name of Arizona’s controversial law?
a. SB 1070
2. Robin Williams provided the voice for the Genie in Aladdin. In what other animated non-Disney movie did he sing?
a. Fern Gully
3. Who appeared in more episodes of Seinfeld than any other character other than 4 primary characters?
4. This Disney lyric was deemed anti-Islamic and changed after the film’s initial release. “Where they’ll cut off your BLANK if they don’t like your BLANK, it’s barbaric, but hey, it’s home.”
The Himalayas pass through various countries. Name at least 4. The team with the highest number of correct countries will receive bonus points.
Definite: China/Tibet, India, Nepal, Bhutan, Pakistan.
Debatable: Afghanistan, Myanmar,
Very Debatable: Bangladesh