Saturday, December 11, 2010

Jim, Kristen and me (ie Heaven)

I saw Jim Gaffigan a couple weeks back. It was awesome. I was going to write a post about how funny he is, but I don’t really know what the point of that would be. He’s funny, so you should give him money to continue to be funny. He’s so funny in fact, that when I show his comedy to people and they don’t like it, I’m tempted to not bother being their friend. It’s not that Jim and I are synonymous, but I just have a hard time imaging the person liking me if they don’t like Jim.

My devotion to Brother Gaffigan is such that I watched Going the Distance the other day. Why is this such a sacrifice? Because GtD has Drew Barrymore in it.

Now I’ll admit, I’ve liked movies with Drew in them. Donnie Darko and The Wedding Singer and Charlie’s Angels come to mind. But in each of these movie there was a factor (creepy rabbits, Billy Idol and Cameron Diaz dancing in her underwear, respectively) offsetting Barrymore’s presence. I don’t think she’s funny, charming, attractive, talented, or any other attribute you’d want in a film star. And she’s got a man’s name.

And I’m no Justin Long fan either. How dare he try to make John Hodgman look foolish. And he was in both Planet 51 and Battle for Terra? Way to do animated science fiction a solid Justin.

But I saw it because it had Jim Gaffigan in it. GtD, not Battle for Terra. And do you know who else it had in it? You could look on IMDB, or read the next sentence. Charlie Day, Jason Sudeikis, Christina Applegate, Ron Livingston, Rob Riggle, Kristen Schaal and Mike Birbiglia. I’d watch any movie with that cast. I’d watch a Care Bears snuff film with that cast.

Turns out the movie was pretty alright. A bit slow and predictable, but hello, it was a romantic comedy. But the comedy was decent, even though I wanted the 2 main characters to leave so I could just watch everyone else in the movie.

Just as I will watch anything with Jim Gaffigan in it, I will watch anything with Kristen Bell in it, including Burlesque. Sadly, it wasn’t as bad as I hoped it would be. Sure the dialogue is asking for some MST3000 treatment, but it wasn’t as entertainingly bad as it could have been. It wasn’t good either, which would be the other way to go. It was just pretty average. But it had Kristen Bell wearing fetishwear for nearly an hour and Stanley Tucci hit another homerun with his snarky delivery (he was the best part of Easy A earlier this year.) Plus there was sappy emotional stuff with Christina Aguilera and Cher, so I imagine it’s a worthwhile movie for most men and women of the world.

1 comment:

peetie said...

A Care Bears snuff film?
Same ol' Chris.