Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Doctors without Burros



Which is not really accurate, because I'm pretty sure some of us did have burros.

Back in November we had our first resident retreat. As part of the bonding experience, we needed to ride horses. I don't understand bonding.

So rather than wake up at 7 to go to work, I woke up at 6 to go horseback riding. An hour of sleep is important enough to me that I probably would have preferred work.

I'm not sure where we went, but it was in the desert. After a cowboy breakfast (which is much the same as a homecooked breakfast, only not as well cooked) we hit the dusty trail.

Occasionally when I'm driving I think to myself, isn't it weird that I'm casually moving a little wheel and guiding a large contraption around at 60 mph? I got much the same sensation with the horse. I flip a rein this way or that, and a large beast moves. Most of the time. Anyway, it was odd, and somewhat enjoyable. The last time I rode a horse I was 11 and I got kicked. I didn't get kicked this time, so count it as a success.

The next resident retreat will be in April, and will probably be something I like better than horseback riding. But it doesn't really matter because I'll be in Thailand, which I'm hoping I'll like a lot better than horseback riding.


A bunch of pictures of us on facebook.



1 comment:

peetie said...

I think Paul Farmer would be pissed if he saw your title.

The "first" intern retreat? "Rather than wake up at 7?" I totally chose the wrong program, didn't I?