Monday, February 18, 2008

I should throw a party

Demetri Martin believes that saying you’re good at Checkers is basically saying you’re not good at anything else. I can’t say that I’m good at Checkers, but I recently reached a milestone in my Spider Solitaire career.

To explain and perhaps justify myself, I don’t spend my free time playing Solitaire. I play it when I’m studying. Though I am capable of sitting in bed for 8 hours studying, I am certainly not studying the whole time. Rarely I will take a break for a TV show, snack, shower etc. But each of these takes 20 minutes, which is a sizable disruption of my productivity. So Spider Solitaire has become a standard break. I can play a gain in 3-7 minutes, which is exactly what I need before getting back into endocrinology or whatever else I’m drilling through.

So what’s my milestone? I just reached a 1:1 record. It’s actually 222:222, but it’s what I’ve been seeking after for the last few months. I would suspect that my current success rate is close to 70% (on medium mode, if you’re judging against your own performance) but with a poor starting performance and many incidences of quitting games before finishing kept me at 48 and 49% for several months. But now, mediocrity is mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Hard to imagine how this game will be an entertaining diversion now that you have reached your goal. Guess you will have to pick up knitting now.

EMILY