Sunday, November 28, 2010

The time of the season when I rank things: Christmas Music

Last year I ranted a bit about how I dislike a lot, but not all, Christmas music. I thought it would be a bit more positive this year to actually point out some music that I like. Facebookers, check out the blog for videos.

12. Maybe This Christmas – Ron Sexsmith

I normally limit these lists to 10, but hey, 12 is a Christmassy number. Though I hate the 12 days of Christmas. Criminally, there are no youtube clips of Ron singing the song. Here's someone else:



11. Wrapping Paper – The Waitresses
My friend Paul reminded me of this one last week. It’s a good one.



10. Last Christmas – Wham!
Shut up, I like it. And there are a billion covers of it, only half of which appear to be ironic.



9. Baby It’s Cold Outside – Zoey Deschanel
For whatever reason, they won't let me embed Zoey singing the song with Leon Redbone or Will Ferrell. Clearly Zoey must be scared of the internet.

8. O Holy Night
Admittedly, the Southpark isn’t my favorite version. But I had to include a video, and it was the most interesting one.



7. Let It Snow – Sinatra
I do tend to like these post carol, pre modern Christmas songs.



6. Carol of the Bells
Most any version, even Mannheim Steamroller. But this was the video I thought of.



5. Little Drummer Boy – David Bowie
Yes, this is a pretty secular list. OHN and LDB are the only Christian songs represented. The churchy songs are really a separate category in my mind, and not what I’m counting down today.



4. Walking in the Air – Aled Jones
Not strictly a Christmas song, but it is to me.



3. Christmas Time is Here – Vince Guaraldi
Thanks Peanuts and Arrested Development.



2. The Christians and the Pagans – Dar Williams
An odd little ditty, but one of my favorites, and with an actual message.



1. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Frank Sinatra
My favorite Christmas song. No good reason. Depending on how it’s sung it’s joyful or a bit melancholic. All songs should be that way.



Top Churchy Christmas Songs: Angels We Have Heard On High, Far Far Away On Judea’s Plains, Hark the Harold Angels Sing, Oh Come All Ye Faithful, We Three Kings

Top Kiddy Christmas Songs: Up on the Housetop, Here Comes Santa Claus, Heat Miser

No comments: