Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Spectate with me

True friends are blah blah blah blah blah.

I don’t actually have any insight to what makes a true friend. However, I do have an insight into what makes a convenient friend. Media.

If you find someone that likes the same movies, music and activities that you do, chances are you’ve found a friend. Maybe they’re not going to give a toast at your wedding, but I bet they’re going to provide some good time for the weekend. And that’s a good enough place to start.

On Friday I went to The Pixies show in Mesa. I’ve got pictures, but honestly I’m too lazy to post them. I’m pretty happy that I’m managing to write a post again after getting out of the habit. But I’ve yet to take any good pictures at a concert so it’s a bit inconsequential. The point of the concert is the music, and The Pixies delivered. Apart from some slight missteps (starting with the B sides? 2 encores?) the show was awesome. I had a hard time motivating anyone to go see a band that last released an album in 1991, but eventually I scrapped 3 of us together. And I think we all agreed that it was quite awesome. They don’t have the manic energy from 20 years ago, but artful mix of screeching guitars, screeching vocals and powerful pop hooks was still there and a force to be reckoned with. Even my 6 hour headache couldn’t dampen the experience. Well, it dampened it, but not significantly. Add to the evening some delicious peach cobbler and frozen custard, and it was a winner of a night.

I had better luck putting together a group to see Daniel Tosh on Saturday. It’s amazing how popular a show on Comedy Central will make a stand-up comedian. I of course have to snootily point out that I liked him before he was famous. Or at least THIS famous. So me and some work friends got tickets and joined the thousands of other people crammed in the 5500 seats of Dodge Theater. Though first we had some top notch sushi. But after the top notch sushi we had the top notch comedy. It was about 95% new material, and 95% funny. Excellent stats Dan. He surprised me with some Mormon bashing, which was sadly pretty mundane. Oh well, we can’t win them all.

On Sunday the priority was Dexter. I don’t have Showtime, so needed to mooch off someone else’s largesse in order to watch my favorite premium cable serial killer who kills other serial killers. Luckily I found just such a dealer. We ate hummus and enjoyed some red velvet cake, all on a plastic wrapped table to celebrate the premiere. The time I spent this week studying Isaiah may have been negated by my Sunday evening of watching people get murdered, but I think it’s a fair trade.

Am I still going to be talking to these 8 people about concerts, comedy and television in 8 years? I don’t know. But for now, I’m glad that I’ve found people who similarly enjoy pastimes of mine. And if I could find a lady friend who enjoys influential 90s alternative, clever but blue comedy AND finely crafted ultraviolence, well, I’m pretty sure I’d be talking to her in 8 years. Because that would be more than a convenient friend.

No comments: