Wednesday, March 12, 2008

What's New?

When someone asks “What’s new?” I say “Nothing much.” There’s a linguistic term for this automatic and meaningless response, but unfortunately my brain is not the sponge I sometimes purport it to be. In any case, this is normally true. What’s new? I’ve been doing much the same thing for the last 2 years (socially, academically etc) so I don’t consider much to be new. I want things to be different, but they’re not. C’est la vie.

Last night had you asked me “What’s new?” I would not have said “Nothing much.” I would have said “I saw two genitourinary exams today.” That was new. As a single Mormon boy who chooses to avoid athletics (and thus communal showering experiences) my exposure to genitalia is quite limited. Textbooks are one thing. Watching a testicular exam and DRE is quite another. Looking through a speculum is quite another.

Today I heard an hour-long lecture on aspirin. What’s new? Nothing much.

No comments: